Mixing Clear Gel and Fragrance
Getting a fragrance to mix in with a clear gel like product can be very complicated. One needs to be careful when it comes to mixing these two together or we can end up with something cloudy and not so appealing product.
Mixing fragrance in a clear gel-based product using a solubilizer can help prevent cloudiness and ensure a transparent and stable final product. Solubilizers are additives that aid in dispersing oils and fragrances evenly in water-based formulations. Follow these steps to achieve a clear and well-mixed gel-based product:
- Clear gel-based product (serum, shampoo, etc.)
- Fragrance oil or essential oil (skin-safe and suitable for the product)
- Solubilizer (such as Polysorbate 20 or Polysorbate 80)
- Stirring rod or small whisk
- Dropper or pipette (optional)
- Clean and sanitized mixing container (glass or plastic)
- Choose a Solubilizer: Select an appropriate solubilizer for your fragrance. Polysorbate 20 and Polysorbate 80 are commonly used solubilizers for incorporating oils and fragrances into water-based products.
- Measure the Fragrance and Solubilizer: Determine the amount of fragrance needed based on the total volume of the gel-based product. Check the recommended usage rate for the fragrance, which is typically expressed as a percentage of the total formulation. For example, if the recommended usage rate is 1%, and you are making 100 grams of product, you would add 1 gram of fragrance.
- Prepare the Solubilizer: In a separate container, measure the appropriate amount of solubilizer following the manufacturer's guidelines.
- Add the Fragrance to the Solubilizer: Slowly add the fragrance oil or essential oil to the container with the solubilizer. Stir gently with a stirring rod or whisk to combine the two ingredients thoroughly.
- Mixing with the Gel-Based Product: Slowly pour the clear gel-based product into the container with the solubilizer-fragrance mixture. Use the stirring rod or whisk to gently stir the combination.
- Blend Thoroughly: Continue stirring gently but thoroughly to ensure the solubilizer-fragrance mixture disperses evenly in the gel-based product. The solubilizer will help the fragrance oil disperse throughout the gel without causing cloudiness.
- Allow Settling Time: After mixing, allow the scented gel-based product to sit for a few minutes. This allows any small air bubbles introduced during mixing to rise to the surface and dissipate.
- Bottling and Storage: Once you achieve a clear and transparent gel-based product with a well-mixed fragrance, carefully transfer it back into its original container or desired packaging. Seal the container tightly to prevent any air from entering and store the product in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- Follow the recommended usage rates for both the fragrance and the solubilizer to ensure proper dispersion without causing any issues.
- Solubilizers work best with fragrance oils that are oil-soluble rather than water-soluble. Check the compatibility of your chosen fragrance with the solubilizer before mixing.
- Perform small-scale tests before making a large batch to ensure compatibility and clarity of the gel-based product with the fragrance and solubilizer.
By incorporating a solubilizer into your fragrance-mixing process, you can create a clear and well-dispersed gel-based product without cloudiness, providing a delightful and seamless experience for users.